Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Giving Etsy Another Go

A couple of years ago, before I had the bright idea to open Customizables, I discovered Etsy and gave it a shot with less than spectacular results. I eventually decided it would be best if I focused on getting my Zazzle shops off the ground first, then I would be free to give Etsy another try while Zazzle was earning me money in the background. Well, as my avid readers (all five of you) already know, I've been making a living on Zazzle for a while now, and I finally decided to give Etsy another go. I enter this endeavor with no intentions of making my fortune as I had before, but rather as a fun way to occupy myself. If I can play with sculpey and earn enough money from the results to pay for my materials, I consider that a success. I'm not in a position where I have to depend on this as a lucrative source of income--Zazzle is doing a fine job of covering me there, thanks--so I can afford to just have fun with Etsy, as I'd hoped I'd be able to do someday when I put it on the back burner in 2008.

So far I've had two sales, and they have not earned me enough to pay for my materials yet, but I have been having so much fun making my items and finding neat ways to display them that the financial loss doesn't have much of a sting. I've made sushi beads, a hippo figurine, a cricket pendant, and a slew of other items. On my desk now are the makings of an Autumn Harvest bead set, and with any luck I'll have them done and posted before Friday. The rain in the forecast, however, will make it difficult to give them the glossy coat I prefer for finishing my items. I could always just spray them indoors, but I'm not a big fan of running into walls because I've gotten high from art fumes.

To my readers, few though you may be, I present this offer. If you have someone on your gift list this year who is difficult to shop for, you may want to consider enlisting my services. As you can see from my Etsy store, I am capable of a wide variety of beads, charms, pendants, and figurines, and I do so at affordable prices. In addition, I can assemble the beads into jewelry, keyrings, and so on if desired. I also, of course, have my various Zazzle stores, and would be more than happy to design custom coffee mugs, t-shirts, three-ring binders, etc. if that's what you need this holiday season.

That's all this time around. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment